Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Highway Hymn V

Telephone wires race along
whispering their electric song
tires on the road quietly hum
Silence is my only friend
when their songs saddly end
fingers on the wheel begin to drum

my solitary soulful song
only I know how to hum
I've never told my best friend
only my fingers know the end
and slowly they rest upon my drum
the rhythm of the road carries along

Flip on the radio, voices hum
the sound becomes my friend
I like this song, hope it won't end
raindrops on cartops start to drum
radio cuts out, I keep driving along
stuck in my head, the words to a song

Looking back, recall a friend
a time when summer refused to end
crickets keep the rhythm like a drum
who would've known how far along
I would have gotten without her song
the one I always secretly hum

I've no idea if she met her end
wether her heart refused to drum
when the river of life swpt her along
and all I can remember is her song
that long ago she taught me to hum
a cherished gift from a misplaced friend

Radio comes back, loud as a drum
with resurrected sounds, I sing along
raindrops still tap dancing their subtle song
tires on wet blacktop continue to hum
these sources of music a constant friend
hoping their companionship will never end

This journey has no definate end
so long as tires always hum
and blacktop is there to carry along

Unknown

8:31 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger DTclarinet said...

Interesting repetition of cycled mantras- song along friend, hum drum end. Like the lines of the highway, droning. Maybe you could send this in to the 7th poetry carnival over at my place.

seeyaround,
Garnet

1:11 AM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Beautiful poem. Love the theme you have chosen.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting. Look forward to seeing you around.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Renee Wagemans said...

it is a very rhythmic way of poetry I love it

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home